Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Fiction Is A Dish Best Served Hot


In your mind, as in your cabinets, exists a store of ingredients. Words. Images. Ideas. Fantasies. Mixed together without the right recipe, they’d most likely come out an unappetizing mess, but with the right measurements and direction, your hypothetical ingredients can be turned into something real. Something that will be summed up here as your, “Fiction Dish.”

There are no steadfast rules for creating a work of fiction whether it be a short story, novel, novella, etc. However there is plenty of advice to be had for an emerging writer who has aspirations to one day be published. (Believe me, I know firsthand.) The aim of this blog is to help centralize that advice and fold in a dash of encouragement.

Measurements can vary, but the basic recipe is as follows:

One part inspiration.
One part perspiration.
A healthy dose of reality.
Blend well.

I hope to encourage all three in this blog on a weekly if not twice weekly basis.

Thank you for being one of the first to check out my blog! I hope to have you back in a few days for a second helping. My next post will share some of my personal experience with this recipe in a two-part post keenly entitled, “My Inspiration, Perspiration, and Reality”.


Your comments are appreciated, requests are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment